I really enjoyed grammar girls article. She had some really good hints and tips that I never had heard of. These being reading your papers backwards line by line. That amazes me how it really can focus your attention to the phrasing or spelling of words that good old Microsoft abc check never sees. I enjoy letting my paper sit a few hours and reading it out loud, and practice this regularly, because it's the easiest way to avoid sentences that may not flow, and you realize you put and extra and or a where it didn't belong.
I also started laughing when she said to print it out and then read. I find that even my homework of what I am supposed to do is easier understood on paper, versus the computer screen. There is something about the screens, especially the LCD ones that just make you daze off all confused. I have missed many mistakes doing this. Of course they were always on my MySpace bulletins of the most common missed letters or words!
Lastly on her etcetera comment, I am a habitual etc person. I have almost started using it as a lazy way of avoiding all the "commas" in lists. I am very afraid of using commas, I either put them in the wrong place or not use them at all. So etcetera comes in handy for those times that I feel the comma is not worth the writing manuals!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment