Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shitty First Drafts Reading response week 3

Anne Lamott has an interesting style to her writing. I like how honest she is that everyone, even the best of writers are really terrible at first because they are just getting all the things together. I often think about how many times Shakespeare went back over Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet. Anne Lammott makes some excellent points about how a writer cant know what they are doing until they have done it. I think this applies to so much in life, that unless you do something bad first you will never know how to improve it. Sometimes it takes a whole paper to realize that you have too much going on. Anne shows that giving it all away in the first draft, so to speak, is really the best way to trim it up for the second draft. Also that a lot of people are embarrassed of their first draft, because it can be so extensive and drawn out. I definitely agree with her, I used to start my essays with a "web" which actually ended up being my conclusion. I always have wrote in a backwards format, I make my point and then go back and prove it. Being free with the first draft really allows you to go all out. You are able to get every point that you would like to get across and you don't have to feel bad about it because no one is going to even see it. I enjoyed shitty first drafts because it is encouraging to writers who may be new or even veteran writers to feel free and surrender to the writing process. Nothing happens the first time. If it did it would never be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment